Depending on the operation, your loved one may struggle with living on their own. Everyday tasks like feeding, bathing, and getting out of bed can seem almost impossible to complete. Temporary post-operative caregiver services can be the support your family member needs to recover from their injury and remain positive and productive.
What Is After-Surgery Home Care?
Post-operative care helps your loved one adjust to life at home after surgery. Day-to-day activities can become difficult to handle after a major operation. Home care service providers offer clients care options designed to support their physical needs. They assist with meal preparation, light housekeeping, and more. If a client has doctor-prescribed instructions to follow, their assigned caregiver helps them meet every requirement.
Coming home after an operation can be stressful. Having a home care aide around helps keep the demands of post-surgery life manageable. More than anything, your loved one may simply want emotional support to get them through the challenges of the recovery process. Home caregivers are there to remind your family member they aren’t alone and the road to healing isn’t as daunting as they believe.
Why Your Loved One May Need Home Help After an Operation
In many cases, recovery doesn’t end as soon as your loved one is discharged from the hospital. After an operation, your family needs to consider a few essential questions. Think about the following:
- How will they run errands and attend appointments?
- Can they move around the house safely and without supervision?
- If not, who will help them move around the house?
- Who will help with the activities of daily living (feeding, bathing, housekeeping)?
- Who will provide the emotional and physical support they need to have confidence in their recovery?
If you don’t have good answers to the questions above, you need a helping hand. Caregiver services go beyond professional support. Aides are trained to help clients recover quickly and safely, and to do that, they need to be a reliable source of support and positivity. Living with a physical impairment can cause your loved one to feel frustrated with their situation. Professional post-operative care aides are patient and understanding. In addition to helping with tasks like getting dressed and toileting, they empathize with your loved one and encourage them to keep moving forward.
Does your loved one need assistance adjusting to life at home? MDC Healthcare is here to help. Reach out today and start building your care plan.
Things To Keep in Mind When Recovering From Surgery at Home
Every surgery is different, but it’s likely your loved one will need to follow specific instructions to ensure their recovery remains on track. The last thing your family member wants after an expensive and traumatic operation is to re-injure themselves.
Keeping track of everything you need to do to provide effective post-operative care is challenging. Managing side effects, medical equipment, and their transport to and from appointments is a lot for an unpaid family caregiver to handle alone. A home care professional provides support according to your post-operative care plan and helps with the following:
- Medication – The hospital will likely discharge your loved one with prescription medication. Discontinuing medication like antibiotics can negatively affect your family member’s health and possibly lead to re-injury. Caregivers help with medication reminders and ensure it’s taken according to the doctor’s instructions.
- Diet – Many patients may not be able to eat regular food or may need assistance with feeding. Caregivers help with meal preparation (including grocery shopping) and make nutrition recommendations.
- Transportation – Physical limitations may impair your loved one’s ability to drive. Caregivers can transport clients to appointments and other errands safely.
- Mobility – Simple tasks like moving up and down the stairs can feel impossible without assistance. Home care aides help clients move around the home and perform other activities, like light exercise.
MDC Healthcare Delivers Temporary Home Care Services
Your loved one doesn’t have to struggle with post-surgery recovery. MDC Healthcare specializes in personalized home care services designed to improve your family member’s quality of life. When you work with our care coordinators, we build a custom care plan according to your loved one’s specific needs. We match you with a caregiver you can trust and connect with. MDC Healthcare supports communities of every culture, ethnicity, and race, and our staff has speakers of 18 languages.
You don’t have to go at it alone. Trust MDC Healthcare to help your family member readjust to life at home safely and comfortably. Whether you need personal care, respite care, or therapeutic services, we’re here for you.
MDC Healthcare delivers customizable, affordable, and culturally sensitive in-home health services to communities in Georgia.
4165 Shackleford Road
Norcross, GA 30093-2987